In June, 1965, Sisters Hospital opened a new $9.1 million, 227 room wing of the North Buffalo Hospital.
The new wing, it was promised, would offer patients the best of scientific treatment, plus privacy, security, care, and respect.
Sisters Hospital was Buffalo’s first hospital, founded at St. Louis and Pearl Sts. in 1848, before moving “out to the country” at Main St. and Delavan Ave., at the site that is currently the home of Canisius College’s Koessler Center.
The site where Sisters now stands was The Providence Lunatic Asylum. When it became Sisters Hospital, Father Baker was there to lay the cornerstone in 1905.
Portions of the original Providence buildings are at the core of 120 years of expansion on the Main street campus.
And in that same paper, look at a great ad from that day for Malecki’s Hot dogs…
Nine out of ten Grandmas recommend Malecki’s Polka Brand Wieners! There’s no monkeying” around when she chomps into a wiener. Only the full, tangy, meaty flavor that’s made hot dogs an all-time favorite will satisfy.