While many of the former Twin Fair locations live on as Tops, Big Lots and other retail outlets, the former Twin Fair location probably remembered best by South Buffalonians was torn down only within the last couple of years.
The sign from the Elmwood Avenue Twin Fair, now home to a plaza which includes Tops and PetSmart.
Cutting the ribbon on Twin Fair’s 10th store, on Maple Road in Amherst. The site is now home to Tops. In the photo are Harold Egan, Twin Fair president; Edith McArdle, Twin Fair employee since 1958; Al Dekdebrun, Amherst Supervisor, sporting goods retailer and 1946 Buffalo Bisons quarterback; and Andy Heferle, store manager.
After serving as the home of Gold Circle, Hills and Ames, that South Buffalo/city line location had been eyed by different developers after years of vacancy. Plans for a Walmart on the site never materialized, but in 2014, the old Twin Fair was torn down, and a 100-unit building for those living with mental illness was built on the spot.
After camping out near Elmwood and the city line in three canvas-covered wagons, 110 years ago today– July 7, 1910– “a band of gypsies” with 13 children, “10 monkeys, seven horses, and three bears” were escorted out of Buffalo by two mounted policemen.