A series of postcards showing off different portions of Main Street give a fantastic look back at the Village of Williamsville and how it’s changed since the 1960s.
Government buildings on the east side of Main are a mix of old and new.
The building that once housed the Amherst Police is now the Williamsville Village Hall and Hutchinson Hose Company. While the Williamsville Library doesn’t look all that different, the lot just to the north does for sure. The stone building on the postcard above is the old Williamsville Village Hall, built in 1908 as offices for both the town and village.
The stone building was torn down in 1965 to make way for the current Amherst Town Hall.
The names on the buildings have changed, but the buildings themselves haven’t changed much over the last 60 years at Main Street and Cayuga Road. Among those gone are Mister Donut, Glen Pharmacy, Fred Roneker’s and Marine Trust.
Another block south, and the view is still mostly familiar.
A house has given way to a parking lot next door to Ss. Peter & Paul Catholic Church on Main Street.