Buffalo in the ’80s: Peller & Mure, one of downtown’s great men’s stores

By Steve Cichon

Roy Peller and Paul Mure worked at Kleinhans Men’s Store when they decided to open their own haberdashery a few blocks away on Court Street in 1948.

Peller & Mure became one of downtown’s great men’s stores, outfitting mayors from Frank Sedita to Jimmy Griffin. Their offerings expanded to include a women’s business line in 1981.

Over five decades, P & M’s retail space was in several locations through the years, including two on Court Street, as well as Delaware Avenue and Pearl Street.

Investors took over the upscale clothier in 1995 and gave a fight, but after 51 years, Peller & Mure closed its doors in early 2000.

AM&A’s was right around the corner on Main Street, until it moved across Main in 1960.