This week, we’re looking back at the glory days of shopping on Main Street downtown, and we begin with the giant: AM&A’s.
Adam, Meldrum & Anderson was Buffalo’s largest and most popular department store for 127 years.
Locally owned and operated from 1867 to 1994, more than just a place to shop, it was a Buffalo institution.
Starting in the mid-1970s and lasting through the early 1980s, the store’s italicized green-lettered corporate logo was augmented with an ultra-modern swooshy AM&A’s first in an electric green and blue, then in a more subdued dark blue and red.
In 1995, only months after AM&A’s sold its operations to Bon-Ton, the York, PA based department store announced the closure of the Main Street downtown location which had been hemorrhaging money for quite some time.
More than 300 jobs were lost with the closure of the store as well as the warehouse behind the store across Washington Street.
We’re in the final chapters of AM&A’s history now, with the Bon-Ton’s never ending going out of business sales in several of AM&A’s former locations.