Ss. Peter and Paul Roman Catholic parish was
approaching its 100th anniversary when this photo was taken in 1944.
It’s been in Hamburg so long, it predates
Hamburg. So they wouldn’t have to travel all the way to Buffalo’s St. Louis
Church for Mass, a group of 22 German immigrants organized the parish in what
was then White’s Corners.
The parish’s first worship space was in the
former Thilerites meeting house, which was relocated to East Main Street when a
new church was built. The building still stands today opposite where Newton
Road meets East Main. The first building built as Ss. Peter and Paul was built
for $1000 and dedicated in 1863.
After 50 years of growth in what’s now the
Village of Hamburg, Buffalo Bishop Charles Colton traveled to Hamburg to dedicate
the current Romanesque church building in 1911. Msgr. Nelson Baker was on hand
for the dedication of the school building (foreground) in 1921.
In 1988, $1.2 million renovation was completed on
the church, which was also freshly painted for its hundredth birthday in 2011.
Then, in 1844, 22 families split off from an East
Eden parish following the death of the pastor there to form their own church.
Today, 174 years later, 2500 families call Ss. Peter and Paul their spiritual
A series of postcards showing off different portions of Main Street give a fantastic look back at the Village of Williamsville and how it’s changed since the 1960s.
Government buildings on the east side of Main are a mix of old and new.
The building that once housed the Amherst Police is now the Williamsville Village Hall and Hutchinson Hose Company. While the Williamsville Library doesn’t look all that different, the lot just to the north does for sure. The stone building on the postcard above is the old Williamsville Village Hall, built in 1908 as offices for both the town and village.
The stone building was torn down in 1965 to make way for the current Amherst Town Hall.
The names on the buildings have changed, but the buildings themselves haven’t changed much over the last 60 years at Main Street and Cayuga Road. Among those gone are Mister Donut, Glen Pharmacy, Fred Roneker’s and Marine Trust.
Another block south, and the view is still mostly familiar.
A house has given way to a parking lot next door to Ss. Peter & Paul Catholic Church on Main Street.