Sadly, a drive down Broadway east from downtown is largely a lesson in urban decay. Many worn-out buildings left uncared for, many lots where buildings that formerly fit that description once stood.
Shown here in a 1972 photo, these structures at 400 and 404-08 Broadway no longer stand.
The wholesaling business run by Noah Mandelkern, and then his son Albert, first opened on Broadway in 1916.
Mandelkern’s was a well-known seller of bulk seasonal items like school supplies, small Christmas gifts, Easter novelties, etc.
At one time, they were also dealers of one of America’s most famous shoe polishes — proving they did know almost anything from Shinola.
Next door, August Meyer opened his manufacturing and distributing business in 1915. At first, A.F. Meyer & Sons dealt in store and bar fixtures, soda fountains and beer pumps.
By the time son Edward Meyer took over the business in 1933, they were also the area distributor for Green River pop, a lime flavored soda that was the second most popular soda in the Midwest and Chicago for much of the first half of the 20th century.
The business was sold to the owners of Tops Friendly Markets in 1967.
The homes now occupying the lot were built in 2002, according to city records.